Need Low-Income Energy Assistance?

The Department’s Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program provides federal money to non-profit agencies and local governments so they can assist low-income families with home heating and cooling costs.


To inquire about assistance from the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, locate the county in which you live and contact the local provider at the telephone number listed. Please note: Applications are only available by contacting the local providers listed below and are not available on the internet.

Okaloosa County
Tri-County Community Council, Inc.

913 Beal Pkwy NW #H, Ft. Walton, FL 32547

Ft. Walton: (850) 200-4425
Crestview: (850) 306-1134

Santa Rosa County
Tri-County Community Action, Inc.

6607 E. Elva St., Milton, FL 32570

(850) 981-0036

Walton County
Tri-County Community Action, Inc.

1588 US Hwy 331 S, Defuniak Springs, FL 32435
(850) 892-3615

Report to the Legislature Pursuant to CS/HB697


In 2008, the Florida Legislature directed the Department of Community Affairs, through CS/HB 697, to develop a set of legislative proposals needed to address the affordability of home energy for low-income residential customers. Chapter 2008-191, Laws of Florida, directs the Department to work with the Florida Energy Affordability Coalition and identify proposals that:

  • Support customer health, safety, and well-being;

  • Maximize available financial and energy-conservation assistance;

  • Improve the quality of service to customers seeking assistance; and

  • Educate customers to make informed decisions regarding energy use and conservation.


The following report should not be viewed as final or comprehensive in nature. The Department of Community Affairs and the Florida Energy Affordability Coalition intend to continue working collaboratively in developing proposals and improving programs for presentation to the Legislature and others as appropriate.


Do I Qualify for Assistance?

Eligibility is determined by the local agency providing Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program services in the county in which you live. You must contact them to find out if money is currently available and how to apply.

You may be eligible for help if your total household income does not exceed the federal household income limits or if you are currently receiving the following assistance:

  • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

  • Food Stamps

  • Applied for and currently eligible for Weatherization Assistance Program or Community Services Block Grant funds.


Click to visit and learn more detailed information:

Other Local Resources:
Catholic Charities: (850) 244-2825
Salvation Army: (850) 243-4531

National Organizations

LIHEAP Clearinghouse
Contact: Sherry Vogel (406) 494-8662
Toll Free: (866) 674-6327


LIHEAP State Contact - Region 4
Contact: Matthew Treadwell (850) 717-8469

Public Inquiries: (850) 717-8450

National Energy Assistance Directors Association
Contact: (866) 674-6327


National Association of State Energy Officials
Contact: (703) 299-8800

Woman enjoying a natural gas fireplace

Government Assistance