Natural gas has a very distinctive tart, sulfur odor added to it for safety. In its raw state, natural gas has no smell or color. That’s why we have added a “rotten egg” odor to make you aware if gas is leaking.

If you think you smell gas:
  • Remain calm.

  • Don’t light a match, candle or cigarette.

  • Don’t turn electrical appliances or lights on or off.

  • From a safe location, call Okaloosa Gas at 850-729-4700, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, or call 911. We will send a trained technician to investigate.

 

Natural gas has the best safety and reliability record of all traditional energy sources. Generally, natural gas accidentally released in the open will vent harmlessly into the air. However, when a gas and air mixture within the flammability range collects in a confined space, it can ignite accidentally.

Call Before You Dig!

It’s not just a slogan, it’s the LAW!

48-hours before digging, call for a free line-spot: 811

 

For general natural gas safety information, visit this page:

What's that smell? Learn the steps to identify a gas leak.
Call 811 Before You Dig logo

If You Smell Gas