Flexible Connector Safety

Natural gas travels from supply pipes in your home into your appliances via flexible, corrugated metal connector tubes. Because they’re usually out of sight, you might not think about them.


It’s important to have your connectors checked to make sure that older, uncoated brass versions are replaced with new stainless steel or plastic-coated brass connectors. You likely won’t be able to see your connectors, so call a qualified professional to remove the old connector and install a new one, if needed.

For your safety, please don’t move your appliances. Movement can cause an old connector to break, creating a hazardous situation.


Okaloosa Gas technicians can inspect flexible connectors for unsafe conditions and make repairs immediately. There is a moderate fee for this service.


Safe Water Temperatures

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has identified hot tap water as a major cause of scald injuries. Children and the elderly are particularly vulnerable. The commission recommends water temperatures of 120°F to 125°F (“Low” or “L” on some thermostat dials) to avoid most scald injuries.


To check your tap water temperature:

  • Let the hot water run from the bathroom faucet for one to three minutes.

  • Using a reliable thermometer, check the temperature of the water coming from the faucet.

  • Repeat the test in the kitchen sink and bathrooms in your home.


Flammable Vapors

Serious home accidents can be caused by flammable liquid vapors. Vapors from flammable liquids such as gasoline, cleaning solvent, contact cement, and paint thinner can ignite from an open flame, such as a Natural gas water heater or furnace pilot light.


These accidents usually occur in a garage or basement. Many flammable vapors are heavier than air. Due to this building codes require appliances with pilots, burners, heating elements, and switches be installed at least 18 inches off the garage floor. In addition to the code, you should take these important precautions:

  • NEVER use flammable liquids in confined areas. Flammable liquids must always be used in open, well ventilated areas and away from any ignition source, including an appliance with a pilot light or electronic ignition.

  • Do not fill your lawn mower with gasoline or use cleaning solvent near a natural gas appliance. Spills on concrete floors can spread and vaporize quickly, and create a potentially hazardous situation.

  • Store flammable liquids and solvent soaked rags out of reach of children and away from sources of ignition.

  • Do not attempt to make repairs yourself or use unauthorized, unlicensed individuals to work on your natural gas appliances.

Additional Safety Tips
  • Clean or replace your furnace filters regularly

  • Keep all your vents clear of debris and other blockage

  • Pay attention to the color of the flame on your natural gas appliances, which should be blue. If the color is mostly yellow, your appliance could be releasing carbon monoxide or otherwise malfunctioning. Please clear the location immediately and contact your natural gas utility

  • Never use aluminum foil to line your oven or the burners on your stove-top

  • Periodically check your range pilots for carbon buildup

  • Never store items on or around natural gas appliances

  • Only use appliances for their intended purpose (Don’t try to use your natural gas range for space heat, etc.)

  • Have your furnace and other seasonal appliances inspected and maintained annually

  • Watch out for signs of improper venting, such as soot around your appliances

  • Remove lint from your dryer vent in-between each and every load

Appliance Flood Damage

 If water has entered your home or come in contact with natural gas appliances:

  • Call Okaloosa Gas at 850-729-4700 so we can inspect your meter and your natural gas appliances for possible flood damage.

  • Do not attempt to disconnect your gas service or work on or around your gas meter.

  • Do not attempt to relight any of your gas appliances.

  • Do not attempt to clear flood debris from your gas meter or from any other gas appliance, including your water heater.


If your gas appliances have been damaged or submerged by flood waters:

  • Do not attempt to make repairs yourself or use unauthorized, unlicensed individuals to work on your natural gas appliances.

  • It is imperative that residents choose a licensed contractor who follows all safety and manufacturer guidelines.

  • Unauthorized repairs can be unsafe and may void your warranty. Call your appliance manufacturer if you are unsure about work being performed.

  • Some gas appliances damaged by water may need to be replaced.

  • You can choose to work with Okaloosa Gas or other contractors to repair or replace damaged appliances.


If your home was not damaged by flooding, but your natural gas service was interrupted, please call Okaloosa Gas at 850-729-4700 to schedule an appointment.


Extreme Weather Conditions

Frigid Weather and Cold Temperatures:

Natural Gas appliances should not require any special attention. Furnaces, fireplaces, logs, grills, water heaters, etc. should continue to operate at any temperature.

Summer Heat and Extremely High Temperatures:

Natural Gas appliances should not require any special attention. Natural gas A/C and other appliances will continue to operate at any temperature.

Strong Winds and Hurricane Conditions:

Natural Gas lines are underground and monitored, thus no need for special precautions. In case of severe lightning, consider unplugging appliances to avoid electrical damage.

The American Gas Association believes that any mandate for detector installation must be based on a thorough analysis of the impact of such a mandate on response personnel, as well as on consumers.

Appliance Safety